The Metric Tide | Steering group | Review scope | Media coverage
The review was chaired by James Wilsdon, Professor of Science and Democracy at the Science Policy Research Unit (SPRU), University of Sussex (orcid.org/0000-0002-5395-5949; @jameswilsdon), who was supported by an independent steering group with the following members:
- Dr Liz Allen, Head of Evaluation, Wellcome Trust (orcid.org/0000-0002-9298-3168; @allen_liz);
- Dr Eleonora Belfiore, Associate Professor in Cultural Policy, Centre for Cultural Policy Studies, University of Warwick (orcid.org/0000-0001-7825-4615; @elebelfiore);
- Sir Philip Campbell, Editor-in-Chief, Nature (orcid.org/0000-0002-8917-1740; @NatureNews);
- Professor Stephen Curry, Department of Life Sciences, Imperial College London (orcid.org/0000-0002-0552-8870; @Stephen_Curry);
- Dr Steven Hill, Head of Research Policy, HEFCE (orcid.org/0000-0003-1799-1915; @stevenhill);
- Professor Richard Jones FRS, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research and Innovation, University of Sheffield (orcid.org/0000-0001-5400-6369; @RichardALJones) (representing the Royal Society);
- Professor Roger Kain FBA, Dean and Chief Executive, School of Advanced Study, University of London (orcid.org/0000-0003-1971-7338; @kain_SAS) (representing the British Academy);
- Dr Simon Kerridge, Director of Research Services, University of Kent, and Chair of the Board of the Association of Research Managers and Administrators (orcid.org/0000-0003-4094-3719; @SimonRKerridge);
- Professor Mike Thelwall, Statistical Cybermetrics Research Group, University of Wolverhampton (orcid.org/0000-0001-6065-205X; @mikethelwall);
- Jane Tinkler, Social Science Adviser, Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology (orcid.org/0000-0002-5306-3940; @janetinkler);
- Dr Ian Viney, MRC Director of Strategic Evaluation and Impact, Medical Research Council head office, London (orcid.org/0000-0002-9943-4989, @MRCEval);
- Paul Wouters, Professor of Scientometrics & Director, Centre for Science and TechnologyStudies (CWTS), Leiden University (orcid.org/0000-0002-4324-5732, @paulwouters).
The following members of HEFCE’s research policy team provided the secretariat for the steering group and supported the review process throughout: Jude Hill, Ben Johnson, Alex Herbert, Kate Turton, Tamsin Rott and Sophie Melton-Bradley. Hannah White and Mark Gittoes from HEFCE’s Analytical Services Directorate also contributed, particularly to the REF2014 correlation exercise (see Supplementary Report II). Vicky Jones from the REF team also provided advice.